Pitta represents the fire and water elements that regulate metabolism, body temperature, hunger, intelligence, and hormonal function. For pitta people, the food should not be very spicy, sour, or salty, which can aggravate pitta. Pitta people are known for great digestion and they can eat just about everything, without their digestion going for a toss. The food should be cool or light warm and not steaming hot. The food should be cooler in summer in the form of salads or fruit juices. Mint or licorice are favored herbal teas for pitta types. A vegetarian diet is advisable for pitta people.
The hot and sharp quality of Pitta disorders commonly manifest as infection ,inflammation and skin and eye disorders. There are 70 Pitta disorders related to the eyes alone. Pitta has a tendency to be overzealous and overdo things a bit. They can be great organizers and leaders.
Their recommended foods are
- Fruits. Sweet fruits like avocadoes, apples, coconuts, melons, oranges, dates, figs, grapes, sweet cherries and berries, mangoes, pomegranates, plums, and raisins. They should avoid having dried fruits.
- Vegetables. Sweet or bitter vegetables such as cabbage, cucumber, potatoes, zucchini, cress, mushrooms, asparagus, lettuce, cauliflower, green beans, lettuce and peas.
- Grains. Barley, cooked oats, wheat and rice can be had.
- Legumes. All the legumes are allowed for pitta people, except lentils.
- They can have brown sugar and honey. Spices like cilantro, turmeric, fennel, black pepper, cardamom are okay. Milk of goat or cow, cheese, clarified butter and unsalted butter can also be consumed and soy milk or tofu for vegans.
Foods to avoid include
- Sour fruits
- Pungent vegetables including root, raddish, eggplants, mustard, olives, and turnips.
- Dry oats
- Yeast bread
- Salted butter, hard cheese, yogurt, sour cream, and soy.
Ways to balance Pitta:
- eat a Pitta pacifying diet
- avoid stimulants
- engage in calm activities and exercise
- observe seasonal changes
- have cool showers
- use sandalwood and rose oil
- use cooling massage oils
This is a list of Pitta pacifying foods. It is not a complete list. Remember, just because it is on the list does not mean that it is bio energetically matched to you. There are many things to examine when choosing the correct foods for a dosha. Primarily your imbalances